You got me wanting more when less is what I need.

Quote of the Week 40

“You got me wanting more when less is what I need.”
― Richard Macintyre, SIIGA, "The LCD" - Song Lyrics
 

 
 
Interpretation by ChatGPT: 

SIIGA’s “The LCD,” is a song about digital overstimulation and the strange emptiness it creates.

At its core, it is about a person caught in a feedback loop:

screen → stimulation → desire → more consumption → less satisfaction → more stimulation.

The lyrics repeatedly juxtapose wanting and needing. The speaker wants more, but senses that what they actually need is less. That makes the song less a straightforward anti-technology statement than a portrait of addiction to excess—more content, more attention, more connection, more distraction.

The “LCD” itself works nicely on two levels:

  • LCD = Liquid Crystal Display — the screen through which this world is experienced.
  • LCD = Lowest Common Denominator — potentially a world reduced to whatever is easiest to consume, repeat and monetize.

The references to doomscrolling, computerization, dehumanization and digital lies reinforce that interpretation. Technology doesn't merely occupy the speaker's attention; it begins to shape what the speaker wants.

So the central paradox might be put this way:

I know I need less, but the system keeps making me want more.

And that's what makes “You got me wanting more when less is what I need” such a good key line: it's simultaneously about desire, dependency, technology and the loss of contentment.

There is also a more intimate reading: “you” can be a person who has the same addictive effect. The ambiguity is useful—the song can describe a toxic relationship and the relationship we have with our screens at the same time.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

All perceptions are real, at least to those who own them.

Quotes Of The Week -- Summary