Great marketing only makes a bad product fail faster.

Quote of the Week 39

“Great marketing only makes a bad product fail faster.”
― Attributed to David Ogilvy


Triggered by the use of the quote in the reference for my "Build it and they will come – I don't think soprinciple.

However, I could not find a primary source for the original quote.


A similar quote is attributed to William Bernbach:

A great ad campaign will make a bad product fail faster. It will get more people to know it's bad.”


Interesting as Ogilvy and Bernbach have been described as antipodes and likened to Stones vs. Beatles:

"‘Ogilvy on Advertising’ was the first book I read about the business. It polarised the advertising world. It was a bit like the Stones v Beatles debate. You either followed the wisdom of Bill Bernbach or you followed the wisdom of David Ogilvy. (I follow both)."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All perceptions are real, at least to those who own them.